The Department is a graduating and the only one in Belarus to train specialists in the following specialities:
- “Chemical Technology of Inorganic Substances, Materials and Goods”,
- “Technology of Electrochemical Production”.
Speciality “Technology of Electrochemical Production” is trained with specializations:
- “Functional Electroplating”;
- “Chemical Sources of Current”;
- “Corrosion and Protection of Metals”;
- “Technology of Printed Circuit Boards and Microcircuits”;
- “Electrochemical Sewage Treatment”.
Currently, the Department trains specialists in two specialties and, in 2017, the passing score for full-time study on them amounted to:
- * 197 (budget) and 147 (paid training) for specialty “Technology of Electrochemical Production”;
- * 204 (budget) and 163 (paid training) for specialty “Chemical Technology of Inorganic Substances, Materials and Products”.
Specialty “Technology of Electrochemical Production”
BSTU is the only University in the Republic of Belarus where engineers of chemical technologists are trained in the specialty 1-48 01 04 “Technology of Electrochemical Production”. Within the specialty there are 5 specializations: “Functional Electroplating”; “Corrosion and Protection of Metals”; “Electrochemical Wastewater Treatment”; “Technology of Printed Circuit Boards and Chips”; and “Chemical Technology of Quantum and Solid-State Electronics Materials”.
The University has all necessary conditions for training highly qualified specialists: advanced teaching methods used in the educational process, training laboratories equipped with modern scientific research equipment. All disciplines are provided by laboratory courses carried out on modern equipment. The 3d, 4th and 5th year students get acquainted with the production, consolidate the theoretical skills obtained in laboratories, and undergo technological and pre-diploma practice at the best enterprises of the country.
Training on disciplines “Applied Electrochemistry”, “Electroplating”, “Equipment and Bases of Design of Electrochemical Production” involves carrying out course works and projects providing the solution of real production tasks
Professional training of chemical engineers in the specialty “Technology of Electrochemical Production” is focused on the organization and management of all types of work in the following areas:
- Corrosion protection of metal products, restoration of worn-out machine parts and giving metal properties to polymer products that acquire unique properties: their service life increases significantly and their appearance improves.
- Electrodeposition of corrosion-resistant protective coatings on metal products. Corrosion protection of marine, air, land transport, buildings, agricultural machinery, underground utilities, and pipelines.
- Production of printed circuit boards and integrated circuits. Simple pocket calculators and high-speed computers, electronic digital clocks and public communicators are created with the use of printed circuit boards (PCD).
- Environmental protection and economical use of natural resources. Electrochemical methods are used to analyze and purify wastewater from various industries.
- Production of new composite materials.
- Development and production of continuously and autonomously operating chemical power sources, like accumulators, fuel cells, converters of solar energy into electrical energy. Hydrogen energy.
- Production of high-quality plates for bank notes by electrotype method and providing protection against falsification.
- Electrochemical synthesis of organic compounds and electrodeposition of polymer coatings.
- Production of medicines and vitamins, creation of unique equipment: portable electrochemical artificial kidney, detoxification of the body, and life support systems in a confined space.
- Obtaining chlorine, hydrogen, alkalis, peroxoacids, and other inorganic compounds.
- Creation of metal copies of relief works of art by electrochemical methods. Manufacture of jewelry, orders, and medals.
- Production of many metals, including aluminum and magnesium.
After Graduation, students get employed at specialized enterprises, design and research institutes in all regions of the Republic of Belarus. The largest consumers of the Department graduates are:
- OJSC “Belaruskaliy” (Soligorsk),
- OJSC “Fiberglass” (Grodno),
- "KTM-200" (Logoisk),
- JSC “Alutech” (Belarus),
- JSC “Horizont” (Minsk),
- JSC “Atlant” (Minsk, Baranovichi),
- JSC “MAZ” (Minsk), MTZ (Minsk),
- “Belarusian Metallurgical Plant” (Zhlobin),
- RUE “BelAZ” (Zhodino),
- RUP “Brest Electric Plant”,
- “Gefest” (Brest),
- OJSC “Grodno Azot”,
- RUE “Plant of Automobile Units” (Grodno),
- BATE (Borisov),
- RUE “Vitebsk Plant of Electric Appliances”,
- RUE “Sputnik” (Molodechno),
- OM RUP “Zenit” (Vileyka),
- RUP “Smorgon Optical Machine-Tool Building Plant”,
- RUP “Gomselmash” (Gomel),
- RUE “Machine-Tool Plant” (Minsk),
- RUE “Plant of Electrical Products” (Lida),
- RUE “Kamerton” (Pinsk),
- JSC “ARZ” (Slonim),
- RUE “Belshina” (Bobruisk),
- JSC “Stroymash” (Mogilyov),
- OJSC “Eton” (Novolukoml),
- JSC “Mozyr Oil Refinery”,
- OJSC “Lidselmash”,
- JSC “Lida Plant of Electrical Products”,
- JSC “VOLMET”, and etc.
The Department graduates are in demand both in production workshops, central factory laboratories, technical and design departments of the listed enterprises, at waste water treatment plants, and in research and design institutes.
Students who have proven themselves in the process of study and practice, as well as in research work after the defense of diploma projects continue their studies in the Master’s and Postgraduate studies at the Department. After postgraduate study and thesis defense further career of the specialist continues at the BSTU, higher and secondary educational institutions, and branch institutes of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Belarus.
Many graduates hold senior positions at machine-building enterprises, head a number of factories, work at different universities of the Republic of Belarus, Canada, USA, and Germany.
Specialty “Chemical Technology of Inorganic Substances, Materials, and Products”
Since 1993, the Department has been training chemical engineers in the specialty 1-48 01 01 “Chemical Technology of Inorganic Substances, Materials, and Products”. Today within this specialty there is a specialization 1-48 01 01 13 “Chemical Technology of Materials of Quantum and Solid-State Electronics”.
The course of training in this specialization includes the following disciplines:
- physical chemistry of the solid state;
- physical electronics and electronic devices;
- semiconductor technology;
- high vacuum technique and vacuum technologies;
- protection of materials and fundamentals of materials science;
- chemical technology of electronic materials;
- equipment and design principles of industry enterprises.
In addition to theoretical training, there are laboratory workshops on the above subjects at the University.
There are the following main objects of study and development of the specialty:
- electronic ceramics,
- single crystals of semiconductors and dielectrics,
- solid-state luminophores,
- discrete semiconductor devices and integrated circuits.
The widest range of electrophysical characteristics of electronic ceramics makes it indispensable for electrical insulating products, small capacitors of high capacity, semiconductors, ferroelectric and piezoelectrics, superconductors, permanent magnets, transformer cores, without which it is impossible to create electronic devices for displaying, storing and transmitting information. Discrete semiconductor devices and integrated circuits and other electronic devices are also in demand here.
Single crystals / monocrystals of sapphire (aluminum oxide) and rutile (titanium oxide): integrated circuit. Grown in Belarus single crystals are used as solid state laser media, materials-modulators, and after appropriate processing as the jewelry base (alexandrite, emerald).
Basic production and specialization enterprises:
- production of integrated circuits and discrete semiconductor devices ‑ Scientific Production Association “Integral”:
- Semiconductor Devices Plant,
- plant “Transistor”,
- plant “Electronics”, r
- esearch and production division of “Belmicrosystems”;
- Brest plant “TSVETOTRON”,
- plant “SPUTNIK” (Molodechno),
- plant “Kamerton” (Pinsk);
- manufacture products based on electronic ceramics:
- RUE “FERRIT” (Minsk),
- roduction Association “MONOLIT” (Vitebsk),
- growing single crystals:
- enterprise “SOLEKS”,
- plant “OPTIK” (Lida),
- laboratory of non-metallic ferromagnetics of the Institute of Solid State Physics and Semiconductors (NAS of Belarus),
- laboratory for the cultivation and study of single crystals for solid state lasers (Belarusian National Technical University), and etc.;
installation for the deposition of films in a vacuum at the Scientific Production Association “Integral”
installation for growing single crystals
The 3d, 4th and 5th year students undergo a cycle of practical training, including general engineering, technological and pre-diploma practice at these enterprises.
Graduates of this specialty receive qualification of engineer-chemist-technologist.
A specialist of this profile can also be in demand for work at plants, workshops and sites that produce products of basic inorganic synthesis – acids, alkalis, salts, fertilizers, gases, circuit boards, enterprises associated with the production of medicines and pharmaceuticals. The specialist is also in demand for work at stations on sewage treatment, in research and design institutes of the corresponding profile, for example research Institute of Radiomaterials, Institute of Electronics, Institute of Physics of a Rigid Body and Semiconductors, in factory laboratories (JSC “Horizont”, plant “Vityaz”), the higher and average special educational institutions, and professional technical schools.