About the Department. Department of Logging Machinery and Technology is the oldest one at the Belarusian State Technological University and functions from the date of its foundation (since 1930). The Head of the Department is Mokhov Sergey, Assistant Professor, PhD.
Specialities and Specialisations. The Department is a pre-graduation one for speciality “Forestry Engineering” and “Machines and Mechanisms for Forestry Complex” for full-time and part-time forms of training. The Department is engaged in qualification up-grade and retraining of the personnel for the enterprises of logging industry. Postgraduate study and master course are provided for further training of specialists.
Academic Activities. The Department delivers the following disciplines and courses:
- Designing and development of modern highly effective machine systems and technologies for cutting-area works;
- Organisation of forest exploitation taking into account tasks of forest certification and principles of inexhaustible and rational forest exploitation;
- Development of effective technologies of wood harvesting at the felling area, which provide complex usage of wood biomass;
- Designing, development and introduction of progressive technologies of primary wood processing using modern means of mechanisation and automation;
- Development and introduction of modern highly effective ways of mechanical processing of wood into various products;
- Designing and usage of new logging machinery and equipment;
- Providing of repair and maintenance services for logging machinery and equipment for wood harvesting and primary wood processing.
To improve quality of training our students have work experience at the Negoreloe Forestry Experimental Station and also at the advanced logging enterprises of Belarus.
Facilities. To increase the level of knowledge of graduating students the Department created a modern resource base:
- laboratory of engines of trucks and tractors;
- simulator of multioperation logging machine (harvester) Ponsse;
- laboratories on maintenance support and repair of logging equipment;
- home-made and foreign samples of new machinery: feller-forwarders and skidding machines, harvesters, forwarders, timber trucks.
- multi-channel measuring complex Spidpak.