Research areas of the Department of Silviculture for 2016–2017 is identified as follows:
The development of methods and techniques of reforestation and forest regeneration, aimed at improving the sustainability and biodiversity of forest ecosystems and prediction of change in biological diversity of forest phytocenoses in conditions of anthropogenic impact.
Research interests of the Department staff:
- Ecologically oriented ( including recreation) forestry;
- Development and implementation of the system of growing plantations on the zonal-typological basis with the target socio-ecological functions;
- Projection of the Belarusian forests contribution in tempering of global climate change;
- Dynamics and state of forest vegetation in conditions of modern forestry activities and anthropogenic impact;
- Natural regeneration of coniferous forests;
- Silvicultural systems of non-continued cuttings;
- Current state of forest vegetation under anthropogenic impact;
- Economic and environmental consequences of forest fires;
- Forestry and ecology-technological aspects and evaluation of cuttings, ecologically oriented forestry and forest management;
- Recreational (landscape) forestry;
- Natural reforestation, species diversity of forest phytocenoses and felling and recreation impact on it;
- Plantation forestry;
- Assessment of the environmental and economic efficiency of reducing the terms of pine, fir and larch cultivation on forest plantations;
- Introduction of the world flora and its expanding perspectives in the flora species diversity of the Republic of Belarus;
- Growing fuel wood on energy plantations;
- Improve the assessment of the quality of the created forests.
- Restoration of hardwoods by improvement felling (B. D. Zhilkin, V.P. Grigoryev, L.I. Lakhtanova, K.V. Labokha): 1950–2005.
- The method of forests efficiency increasing by biological reclamation with perennial lupine plantation): 1955-2005.
- Planning and technique of silvicultural experiments on the basis of mathematical and statistical research methods: 1964-2003.
- Gradual felling in pine plantations: 1964-2012.
- Technology of reforestation, organization and forest management in recreational purposes: 1974-2001.
- System of quality assessment of natural, artificial and combined forest regeneration in Belarus: 1974-2005.
- Scientific foundations of intensive technologies of large-sized and pulpwood pine, spruce and larch accelerated growing on forest plantations: 1976–2005.
- Scientific foundations and practical application of complex care in forest plantations: 1978–1999.
- Degradation of pine plantations in urban conditions: 1980–1984.
- The impact of forest fires on the main components of pine plantations. (): 1980–2005.
- Scientific foundations of forestry hunting organization. (V.S. Romanov) 1980–2005.
- Forest management system of using non-continuous cuttings: 1994–2004.
- Development of recommendations on forest management in the reserves located in the forest fund of Belarus: 1996–1998.
- Development of a biological testing method for indicating the state of pine plantations under anthropogenic impact: 1996-2003
- The current state of diversity of forest vegetation under anthropogenic impact. (G.Ya. Klimchik, L.S. Pashkevich): 1997-2005.
- Biological diversity of the northeastern part of the Neman Geobotanical Area of the Nemansko-Predislovskoe forest region , subzone of hornbeam-oak and dark coniferous forests. (G.Ya. Klimchik, L.S. Pashkevich, L.I. Mukhurov): 1999-2002.
- Basics of theory and practice of environmentally oriented forestry. (L.N. Rozhkov): 2001-2005.
- Machine for beschokernoy skidding of trees in a semi-suspended state. (V.A. Simanovich, G.Ya. Klimchik, D.V. Klokov, V.N. Loy, S.A. Khatkevich): Patent No. 7062 of 14.01.2005.
- Scientific foundations of natural, artificial and combined reforestation in preferentially protected natural areas. (S.S. Shtukin): 2005