About the Department. The Department of Technology of Electrochemical Production and Electronic Engineering Materials was founded in 1981. Since 1981 the Head of the Department is Alexandr A. Chernik, Candidate of Technical Sciences, Assisstant Professor. The Department staff comprises 16 teachers, including 2 Professors, 1 Doctor of Technical Sciences, and 11 Candidates of Chemical and Technical Sciences, Assistant Professors.
Specialities. The Department is a graduating and the only one in Belarus to train specialists in the following specialities: “Chemical Technology of Inorganic Substances, Materials and Goods”, “Technology of Electrochemical Production”. Speciality “Technology of Electrochemical Production” is trained with specializations:
- “Functional Electroplating”;
- “Chemical Sources of Current”;
- “Corrosion and Protection of Metals”;
- “Technology of Printed Circuit Boards and Microcircuits”;
- and “Electrochemical Sewage Treatment”.
Modern electrochemical technology determines trends in creation of new composite materials, sources of power for ecologically clean automobiles of the future, computer technique, medical tools, and metallic copies of unique works of art. In combination with physical methods, like plasmatic spraying, laser reinforcement, and implantation, electrochemical technology appears to be modern technology (one) in the following branches of industry: chemical, electronic, medical, and instrument-making.
Electrochemical treatment of articles of machine engineering, electronic, instrument-making industry makes this speciality important and prospective.
On the other hand, speciality “Chemical Technology of Inorganic Substances, Materials and Goods” is trained with specialization “Chemical Technology of Materials of Quantum and Hardbody Electronics”.
Nowadays, training course on this speciality includes the following fields:
- Electronic Ceramics (material with great number of electric and magnetic properties, used as dielectric for condensers, piezoelements and means, working on them, like generators, filters, high-accurancy manipulators and sensors, and different microcircuits);
- Semiconductors Mono-crystals (base of all micro-, nana-electronics, and dielectrics, like new lasers, masers, multipliers of light frequency);
- Hardbody Luminofors (material for modern light-diodes of natural lighting which replace filament bulbs and make it possible to introduce optical microcircuits of high speed of response);
- Discrete Semiconductors and Integral Microcircuits (base of all modern electronic production);
- Electro-optical Means (the most economic means of lighting and transformation of light energy into electric one);
- and Liquid-crystalline, Plasmous Light-diode Boards, Electronic Paper.
The Department participates in specialists’ retraining and qualification upgrade. Graduates may continue their studies at the master’s and post-graduate courses.
Academic Activities. The Department delivers courses in applied electrochemistry, electroplating, equipment and basis of designing electrochemical enterprises. To master these disciplines students have to compose term papers and run projects, which aim at solving real production problems. To obtain skills of practical research work students pass lab training. In teaching process the Department applies progressive training techniques including computer technologies and modern training devices. To acquaint the 3d, 4th, and 5th year students with manufacture and strengthen theoretical skills they are to pass academic, technological and degree practice at the leading enterprises of our country.
Professional training highly-qualified industrial engineers for the chemical domain of the Republic of Belarus is carried out at the Department in the following fields:
- Anti-corrosion protection of metal articles, reconstruction of depreciated components of machine and proofing polymeric articles metal properties to improve their properties;
- Electro-gumming of corrosion-resistant protective coats on metal articles; rust protection of transport, buildings, agricultural machinery, underground communications, and pipe works;
- Plated and integral microcircuit production;
- Environmental protection and economic utilization of natural resources (industrial sewage effluents by electrochemical methods);
- New composites creation;
- Introduction and manufacture of automatically and free-running chemical current sources, like accumulator, fuel-cell batteries, energy converters, hydrogen power engineering (energetics);
- High-quality engraving of bank notes by electrotype and providing protection against falsification;
- Electrochemical synthesis of organic compounds and electro deposition of polymeric coating;
- Obtaining chlorine, hydrogen, alkali, peroxide, and other inorganic compounds;
- Metal close reproduction of relief art works by electrochemical methods, honors and jewelry production;
- Production of such metals like aluminum and magnesium.
Facilities. There are 14 laboratories at the Department, equipped with modern research equipment of the world leading producers. It is intended for running all possible electrochemical investigations, analytical definition of micro quantity of substances in solution, carry out synthesis, and determine physical and chemical characteristics of micro- and nana-structural semiconductors.
Research. A research scientific work performed at the Department results in its implementation at the enterprises. The scientific school of the Department was founded in 1981 to carry out scientific research in the following spheres:
- Electrode processes at high anodic potential and material, strengthening electrode processes and high temperature hard electrolytes, sensor semiconductors.
- Gas electronography, microwave spectrography, hydrogen power engineering.
- Working out new technological processes of galvanic coating using metal and allows with special characteristics.
- Monitoring and optimization of galvanic production.
- Investigation of physical and chemical regularities of creating heterogeneous catalysts for drugs synthesis.
- Modification and research of micro- and nanostructural semiconductors and other materials with chemical and electrochemical methods.and etc.
Students are involved into carrying out scientific research at the Department. Those of them, who study at speciality “Technology of Electrochemical Production”, are engaged in research work of the student scientific club “Ozone” (they carry out different investigations, make reports at republican and international conferences, participate in scientific competitions to demonstrate results of their work, and etc.). The best of them (or the most successful) get opportunity to present the results of their scientific work at the annual competition of student scientific works of the Republic of Belarus and Russian Federation, and become prize-winners. The best of these students have already become prize-winner of the special fund of the President of our country.
Annually the best graduates continue their study at the University to master their Master and Post-graduate Degrees.
Prospects for Our Graduates. Our graduates (speciality “Technology of Electrochemical Production”) are highly demanded at:
- galvanic enterprises practicing electrochemical and chemical coating (like gilding, silvering, chromium-plating, zink-plating, nickel-plating, phosphorus-plating, and anodization);
- plated circuits, accumulators manufacture;
- municipal sewage purification plant;
- enterprise providing anticorrosion protection of vehicles and industrial object.
Our graduates (speciality “Chemical Technology of Inorganic Substances, Materials and Articles”) are also highly demanded at scientific research institutes of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus and huge plants, developing new vanguard superconducting and electro-optical materials for solar and hydrogen power engineering, including:
- Introduction of nana-materials for electronic technique, informatics, science of materials, functional materials, medicine, ecology and human beings life-support.
- Production of sampled semiconductors, integral microcircuits, and electronic ceramic goods (condensers, piezoelements, growing monocrystals).
Contact Information of the Department. The Department of Technology of Electrochemical Production and Electronic Engineering Materials is located in academic building #4 (rooms 329, 331 а, 333, 339 а). The Department phone number is (+375 17) 327 71 95.