General Information. The department was founded in1962. It was headed by well-known professors, Doctors of Chemical Sciences Bardyshev I.I., Pechkovsky V.V., Novikov G.I., Candidate of Chemical Sciences Orekhova S.E. Since 2009 it has been headed by Candidate of Chemical Sciences, assistant professor Malashonok I.E. The teaching staff is represented by 6 candidates of sciences and 1 candidate of technical sciences.
Academic Activities. The courses of lectures in Theoretical Foundations(principles) of Chemistry and Inorganic Chemistry are delivered for the first year students of all specialities at Chemical Technology and Engineering Faculty, Organic Substances Technology Faculty, Faculty of Printing and Publishing and Correspondence Faculty. The course of Chemistry of Complex Compounds is delivered for the second year students of all specialities at Organic Substances Technology Faculty and Correspondence Faculty. The department participates in the work of the Faculty of Pre-University Training delivering the course of lectures in Chemistry. The lecturers carry out retraining qualification up-grade of professional skills of specialists in many fields of industry. The department trains qualified specialists through post graduate study and master degree course. In teaching process lecturers uses up- to- date technologies with multimedia equipment. Subject contests are regularly carried out.
Facilities. The department possesses 6 educational chemical laboratories. They are equipped with specialized apparatus glassware, chemical reagents for synthesis of inorganic substances and investigation of their composition and physicochemical properties:
- titrimetric determination of vanadium in various degrees of oxidation (titrator Titroline Easy, Germany);
- Ionometric determination of pH (titrator Titroline Easy, Germany);
- Photocolorimetric determination of vanadium compounds in various degrees of oxidation (photometer photoelectric КФК -3);
- Turbidimetric determination of sulphate ions content (photometer photoelectric КФК -3);
- High-temperature systhesis of inorganic materials (electric furnace SNOL 7,2/1300.Lithuania, EEC).
Research. Scientific research is carried out on grants financed by Belarusian Republican Fond of Fundamental Research, projects, including in the state programs of scientific investigations “Substance”, “Inorganic Materials’, separate projects of Ministry of Education of the Republic of Belarus and others.
Main Trends in Research. Nearly all of them were formed and are carried out under the leadership of Assistant Professor Malashonok I.Ye.:
- Investigation of solid- phase oxide systems to produce ceramic materials and pigments for vanishes and paints;
- Processing and recycling of various production waste by chemical and electrochemical methods;
- Sorption purification of gaseous atmosphere and liquid medium by means of modified natural materials and industrial waste as sorbents;
- Manuals for the improvement of teaching process on such subjects as “Theoretical Foundations of Chemistry”, “Inorganic Chemistry” and “Chemistry of Complex Compounds”.
- Publishing computer tests for student individual work;
- Elaboration of different level tasks.
Main Methods of Research:
- method of X-ray-phase analysis
- method of Infrared Spectroscopy
- method of complex Thermal Analysis
- method of Scanning Electronic Microscopy
- electrochemical methods of investigation (single and cyclic voltamperometry with linear potential sweep,
- stationary potentiometric and galvanostatic measurements).