General Information. This department was founded in 1935 by M.A. Bezborodov, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor, Academician of NASB, Honoured worker of Science and Engineering. Nowadays the department is headed by I.A. Levitsky, Honoured Worker of Science of Belarus, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor.
At the department there are 12 lecturers including 3 Doctors of Technical Sciences and 9 Candidates of Technical Sciences. 6 researchers including 3 Candidates of Technical Sciences work in the research sector.
Specialities and Specializations. The department trains specialists in speciality “Chemical Technology of Inorganic Substances, Materials and Goods”, in specializations “Technology of Glass and Glassceramics”; “Technology of Fine Functional and Building Ceramics”; “Technology of Enamels and Protective Coatings”; ”Chemical Technology of Refractory Materials”. The teaching staff works at the Faculty of Retraining and Qualification Up-grade and trains highly qualified specialists through Master degree course and post graduate study.
Academic Activities. The department delivers courses of lectures in 20 disciplines for its students and two courses “Technology and Equipment for Glassware Production” and “Technology and Equipment for Ceramic Articles Production” for students of Economic Engineering Faculty. Information technologies with the use of multimedia systems for lectures and application software are widely used at the lessons.
Facilities.The department has the following educational laboratories:
- the laboratory of Crystallography and Mineralogy;
- the laboratory of Physical Chemistry of High-melting Nonmetallic and Silicate Materials;
- the laboratory of raw materials preparation and investigation;
- the laboratory of chemical technology of ceramics and refractories;
- the laboratory of chemical technology of glass and glassceramics;
The department has the following scientific research laboratories:
- Scientific research laboratory of glass and glassceramics;
- Scientific research laboratory of high-temperature processes;
- Student scientific research laboratory of “Chemistry and Technology of silicates”.
Both educational and scientific research laboratories are well equipped. There are gas furnaces for high-temperature synthesis; electrical furnaces for high –temperature synthesis (by 14000 C) of glass and ceramics (Lithuania, Germany); electronic dilatometer NETSCH (Germany); wet grinding mill (Italy); quartz dilatometers; apparatus for measuring heat conductivity, heat capacity and electrical properties; micro-hardness tester (4011/402MVD Germany); spectrophotometer Proscan MC 120 (Russia); hydraulic presses; drying chamber; gradient furnaces; thermostat TC-20; apparatus for measuring viscosity BBV-1000,PPV-1000, RSV-1600 (USA); microscopic complex Leica (Germany); mill Rich(Germany) and others.
Research. The main scientific trend of the department is the development of compositions and technologies for the production of the following glassy and ceramic materials:
- glazes and glassy coatings for different purposes and invoice for building, household and sanitary technical ceramics;
- glass materials on the basis of natural raw materials of the Republic of Belarus (diabases, glauconitodes, granitodes, dolomite and others);
- glass crystalline materials with bioactive properties (biositalls) for dental orthopedy;
- glass for fibre-optical goods;
- thermo- stable ceramic materials and coatings;
- wall and facade ceramics;
- bio-treatment of clay raw materials;
- ceramic pigments and dyes;
- glass crystalline high wear-resistant materials on the basis of industrial and natural raw materials;
- -little lead low melting ceramic fluxes, glasses and solders;
- nvestigation of mineral and anthropogenic raw materials for its usage in production;
- chemically resistant ceramic materials and goods;
- acid and alkali-resistant electrode glasses;
- low melting glasses for junctions, passivation and sealing devices;
- nanostructured glass materials for optoelectronic devices and laser systems.
- Nowadays great work is carried out on
- elaboration of glass composition for light guiding cord and hard shell optical fibre;
- elaboration of technology for obtaining new nanostructured materials for functional elements of optical electronic and laser devices and systems;
- development of compositions of ceramic tiles and elaboration of technology for the production of tiles with reduced material capacity for inside lining the walls with the use of natural and mineral raw materials and anthropogenic waste;
- integrated study of Belarusian kaolin and technologies for production of ceramic building and refractory materials and goods on their basis;
- obtaining of ceramic materials and coatings for film heater elements and protection of construction elements of heat engineering installations;
- investigation of mass and energy transfer processes in exothermic synthesis of complex metal oxide systems and creation of new refractory ceramic materials;
- development of pigments for protecting paints and varnishes used for covering metals to produce better anti-corrosive properties;
- analysis of influence of surface-active substances and electrolytes on rheological and physicochemical properties of ceramic masses;
- modeling of formation and functioning methods of photo catalysts on the basis of nanosystems CeO2 – TiO2 and others.