General Information. The Department of Environmental Protection was founded at the University in 1973. At that time it was the only department of ecology in Belarus and one of the few in the USSR. Now it is called the Department of Industrial Ecology. The department is headed by Martsul V.N., Candidate of Technical Sciences. Ten lecturers work at the department, among them are 5 Candidates of Technical Sciences and 1 is Candidate of Chemical Sciences.
Specialities and Specializations. Belarusian State Technological University (BSTU) is the only higher educational institution in Belarus that trains chemical industrial ecology engineers in speciality “Environmental Protection and Rational Utilization of Natural Resources” and specializations: “Expertise of Ecological and Economic systems”; “Environmental Monitoring”, “Processing, Neutralization and Recycling of Industrial and Consumption Waste.”
Graduates of this speciality are employed in structural departments of Ministry of National Resources and Environmental Protection, specialized services of industrial enterprises and amalgamations of the concern “Belneftekhim”, Ministry of Industry of the Republic Belarus, Ministry of Architecture and Construction and other Ministries. They also work in scientific, designing organizations, educational establishments, start up organizations dealing with ecological valuation, controlling and supervising in the field of environmental protection.
Academic Activities. The teaching staff delivers lectures at all the faculties of BSTU in more than 20 disciplines covering all the spheres of ecology. The department carries out retraining and qualification up-grade of professional skills of specialists in environmental protection and trains qualified specialists through post- graduate study and master degree course in speciality of “Geoecology”. The scholars of the department participates in the international projects of Tempus program, cooperates with the Universities of Ukraine, Norway, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan in Water Harmony Project.
Facilities. The department possesses 2 educational classes, 7 training, research and development laboratories. The staff rooms and laboratories are equipped with standard and specialized equipment, among which are:
- Analytical apparatus (analytical balance, photoelectric colorimeters, spectrophotometers, chromatographs, ionometers, fluorimeter, voltamperometric analyzer TA-2 and others.
- Special installations, designed by the scholars of the department permitting simulation of cleaning of aerosol ejections, sewage treatment, processes of migration and transformation of pollutants in the environment. They also can model technological processes of the main chemical production, selection of environmental samples for later analysis.
- Collection of stock, materials and products of different chemical production of the Republic of Belarus.
- Video films on nature protection theme.
- Computer models of pollutant migration in environmental components, sewage treatment processes, computer programs for life cycle analysis.
Research. The main scientific trends of the department are the assessment of industrial plants on the environment and elaboration of technical and technological support for recycling and consumption of industrial waste. The department researchers carry out investigations of physicochemical processes undergoing in solid and liquid phases of industrial production waste to design technologies for their processing, neutralization and recycling.
Main trends in research:
- Research and development of normative technical documentation (instructions)on the utilization of sewage sludge
- Physicochemical purification of natural waters and treatment of sewage;
- Inspection of treatment facilities, dust collectors, gas purification plants for making recommendations to improve the efficiency of their work.
This research work is aimed at solving urgent environmental problems. The department partners are Open JSC Naftan, Open JSC Mozyr, Open JSC Svitanak, and others.
Testing Centre for ecological monitoring which was accredited in the Accreditation System of the Republic of Belarus (№ BY/112.02.1.0.03-42 up to 19.12.2016) carries out the work on inventory of atmospheric discharges, assessment of efficiency of gas-dust purification facilities. It tests composition of sewage, develops methods for measuring pollutants in industrial waste and sewage.