For many years the Department has been dealing with the problem of gas purification in several directions: purification of gases in process units, purification and drying of natural gas before its transportation, and cleaning of air in hermetic objects. As the apparatus for gas purification, mainly high-speed centrifugal contact elements and rotor apparatuses were used.
In the course of research, optimal operating modes and geometric relationships of new devices were determined, and methods for their calculation were developed. Most of the devices were brought to the stage of industrial implementation.
The Department has introduced the obtained results in practice (at the OJSC “GrodnoAzot”): introduced direct-flow centrifugal elements for separation and mass transfer at many plants for the production of urea, caprolactam, sulfuric acid, etc. When preparing natural gas for transportation, straight-through separation devices developed at the department were used. Devices of the same type are also used for the absorption of natural gas by diethylene glycol. The principle of using the flow twist is realized in gas centrifugal slurry separators. They are introduced at a number of enterprises for the production of polymer materials for the dehydration of granules. In addition, an installation to concentrate carbon dioxide from the atmosphere in sealed objects (space stations, underground control facilities) was developed. The main part of the installation is a rotary packing absorber.
The work on gas cleaning is being continued now. The current direction is the purification of gases from solid impurities in direct-flow centrifugal elements. Moreover, in their study, computer simulation is widely used to study the hydrodynamics of multiphase flows. Works on the comprehensive purification of gases in high-temperature processes have been started. A search for optimal methods and facilities for reducing emissions of nitrogen oxides and sulfur is being made.
The second direction of research work is connected with the study of the process of dispersion and optimization of aggregates for their implementation. And mathematical modeling of the movement of working organs and the processed medium was chosen as the main method of research. Medium-speed and high-speed grinding aggregates are chosen as objects, which allow intensifying the process of interaction of working bodies with grindable material, and hence the process of disintegration as a whole. These were: medium-speed roller, impact-centrifugal mills, disintegrator type grinders, centrifugal-ball and planetary mills. To intensify the grinding in the wet state, a cavitation disperser and a ball mill with a stirrer are used, the dispersion of the finished product being brought to nanosize. Complex research of these aggregates allowed to optimize their design and technological parameters, to develop engineering methods and algorithms for calculations. All the units under investigation passed industrial tests, and a number of them were introduced into production.
Within the framework of these areas, the department carries out annual research work with state budget funding, applications for inventions are made, candidate and doctoral dissertations are defended.
In the field of scientific activities:
Development and introduction in practice of the following technologies and devices:
- Highly efficient machines and devices;
- Modernization of the unit for grinding quartz sand;
- Measures to reduce the energy consumption of the acid shop;
- Theoretical foundations of the process of thin and ultrafine grinding in grinding units of planetary type;
- Comparative analysis of the magnitude of the destructive stresses arising in the material to be crushed under various methods of its processing in planetary mills;
- Development, research and modeling of energy-efficient machines and units;
- Theoretical foundations for the creation of energy-efficient grinding crushing plants;
- Theoretical foundations of the dispersion process in shock-impulse loading installations and creation of energy-efficient grinding equipment on their basis;
- Theoretical foundations of the process of material dispersion in aggregates of crushing type with flow classification and the creation of energy-efficient grinding plants on their basis;
- Theoretical foundations of thin and ultrafine dispersion processes and the creation of high-efficiency shredders for obtaining nanodispersions on their basis;
- Theoretical foundations for the creation of energy-efficient centrifugal dust collectors.