About the Department. The Department of Technology of Petrochemical Synthesis and Polymer Materials Processing was founded in 1996 (by reorganization of the Department of Plastics and Elastomer Technology Processing). This is a graduating Department. The Head of the Department is Prokopchuk N.R., Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, Professor, Doctor of Chemical Sciences. The Department staff comprises 24 teachers, including 5 Doctors of Sciences and 17 Candidates of Chemical/Technical Sciences.
Specialties and Specializations. The Department trains specialists in Chemical Technology of Organic Substances, Materials and Products, specializations "Technology of Basic Organic and Petrochemical Synthesis", "Technology of Paintwork Materials", "Technology of Plastic Mixtures", "Technology of Elastomers Processing", "Technology of Plastic Materials Processing". The Department also trains specialists at the second stage of higher education (Master’s degree courses). The Department participates in specialists’ retraining and qualification upgrade in chemical technology.
Academic Activities. The Department delivers courses in three main fields of study: technological, chemical, energy. For teaching purposes the Department staff uses information technologies with multimedia complexes and applied software.
Facilities. The Department includes 11 educational-research laboratories:
- 2 educational laboratories for basic organic and petrochemical synthesis;
- 1 laboratory for paintwork materials profile;
- 3 laboratories for plastic materials processing;
- 4 laboratories for technology of elastomers processing;
- 1 testing laboratory for polymeric materials and chemical fibres.
- The Department is equipped with modern research devices manufactured by the world leading producers of complex analytical equipment:
- devices for determining plastic and flexural properties of elastomeric compositions;
- devices for determining physical and mechanical parameters of articles from plastics and elastomers;
- devices for synthesis of polymeric and paintwork compositions;
- installations for obtaining final products from heavy petroleum residues.
Research. In 1992 the Department founded a scientific school. The school is successfully functioning in predicting the properties of polymeric materials and development of plastics, fibres, rubber and paintwork coatings of enhanced resistance towards energy fields and aggressive medium.
The areas of scientific and research activities implemented by the Department are as follows:
- Development of new polyimide materials, including adhesive and non adhesive films, planarization, passivation and isolation protective systems and coatings, compounds of low shrinkage, high efficiency thermal resistant membranes and other materials with specific properties and enhanced processability.
- Determination of the mechanisms of structure formation and properties of elastomeric mixtures depending on component composition and technological parameters during all stages of a technological process. Industrial testing of these mixtures.
- Analysis of combined effect of functionalized additives fillers and stabilizers on properties of composites during their processing. The study of articles from these composites under operation conditions.
- Determination of dependence between nature, proportion of polyfunctional ingredients and rubber properties to enhance durability of rubber articles.
- Development of physical-chemical principles of physical modification of rubber articles by ion-assisted coatings to regulate their performance characteristics.
- Analysis of influence mechanisms and processing conditions of mixture compositions based on petroleum residues on the yield and quality of final products (components of liquid fuel, initial materials for petroleum chemistry). Development of effective methods of their utilization.
- Regulation of properties of final products using the mathematical model of rotational moulding to describe dependence of products characteristics on process parameters and quality index of raw materials.
- Polymer recycling and development of compositions of polymeric mixtures containing secondary raw materials. Production of polymer-based composite materials.
Tel.: +375 327 57 38
E-mail: [email protected]