BSTU is a major scientific and research centre actively developing fundamental and applied research trends. The University focuses on high quality, exploitable research that has the potential to have an impact on the real world around us. Our research sets out to provide solutions to the pressing concerns faced by humankind. Research is of central importance in everything we do, as it informs our teaching and allows us to translate findings into impact which makes a difference to business, industry and society as a whole.
The University scholars are active participants of scientific and technical programs of various scope. For instance, over the last two years they have contributed to 12 national and regional research and technical projects and 9 national research programs. Belarusian State Technological University has been the leading partner of national research and technical program “Forests of Belarus – Productivity, Sustainability, Efficiency”, subprogram “Electroplating Technology and Equipment” of national research program “Mechanics, Technical Diagnosis, Metallurgy”. Currently the University is a partner of the allied state research and technical program “Monitoring”, international Belarusian-Lithuanian program, Belarusian-Kazakhstan research and educational consortium, etc. The University researchers collaborate with over 400 international and national partners within commercial research contracts.
The scope of research trends developed by the University is highly diverse, i.e. organic and petrochemical synthesis, technology of building materials, glass and ceramics, optical fiber technology, high-temperature ceramics, multi-purpose mineral binding composite materials, polymers and rubber production, electroplating and corrosion protection, synthesis, properties and application of nanomaterials, resource-saving electrochemical production, machines and apparatus of chemical and building materials production, electronic engineering materials, chemical technology of inorganic substances, fertilizers and salts, inorganic pigments and fillers, materials science, strength and durability of materials, sustainable forest management and multi-purpose forest utilization, woodworking machines and tools, woodworking, furniture manufacturing, machines and mechanisms for forest complex, chemical wood processing, paper and cardboard making, biotechnology, medicinal drugs, industrial ecology, bioecology, resource- and energy-saving processes and technology, printing and publishing technology and equipment, information systems and technology, information security software for mobile systems, design of electronic and web-publications.
16 research and education schools of national, CIS and international recognition have been established and are operating at the University. Belarusian State Technological University houses 5 PhD Certification Councils. Annually the University researchers publish over 2,500 papers and abstracts. Scientific journal “Proceedings of BSTU” being published under BSTU has been included into the list of scientific periodicals of the Republic of Belarus that are authorized to publish the results of thesis research and into Russian Science Citation Index. The journal is published annually and welcomes contributions in Russian, Belarusian and English by international scholar community. Only for the past 5 years the University has been granted more than 240 patents for inventions and useful models. 117 PhD and doctoral theses have been defended, 67 monographs, 663 textbooks and tutorials have been published at the University. Over 88 international and republican conferences have been hosted by BSTU.
The high-quality research carried out by the BSTU research staff is supported and ensured by the availability of unique and state-of-the-art laboratory and technical facilities, i.e. scanning electronic JSM-5610 LV equipped with chemical analysis system EDX JED-2201JEOL (Japan), particle size analyzer ZetaMAS (Austria), liquid chromatograph “Waters” (USA); thermoanalytic system TGA/DSC1/1600HF (Switzerland); apparatus for specific surface and porosity analysis Nova 2200 (Quantachrome Corp., USA); X-ray diffractometer D8 Advance Bruker AXS (Germany); double-beam atomic absorption spectrophotometer GBC Avanta GM (Australia); laser particle-size analyzer Analizee 22 MicroTec (Fritsch GmbH, Germany); IR-Fourier spectrometer NEXUS E.S.P. (USA), viscosimiters: BBV-1000, PSV-1600, PPV-100 (USA), MOONY MV 200 (UK), rubber fatigue testing machine WALLace F16/12, automatic molding machine БЗСТ 125/450 (Belarus), tensimeter 2020-DC 10 SH, hardness meter DIGI-TEST, density analyzer XS105DU (UK), microbiological quick analyzer Back Track 4300 (Austria), genetic analyzer “ALTENDORF” 310 (USA); general-purpose electromechanical testing machine MTS Insight 100 (USA); laboratory dissolver DISPERMAT CA40-C1 (Germany), integrated IR-Fourier microscope Nicolet iN10 (USA), automated CNC press LabEcon 300 (Netherlands), electronic identifier for interfibre bonding (USA), structure testing machine for wood composite materials Testometric M350-5CT (Netherlands), cardboard resistance meter (Italy), potentiostat РГСТА302 (Netherlands), microhardness meter (Lithuania), tablet press (China), spectrofluorimeter Jasco FP-8500 (Japan), microhardness meter DuraJet10 (Austria), climatic chamber ТХВ-225 (Russia), sulphur analyzer for oil and petrochemicals Horiba SLFA 20 (Japan), forwarder «Amkodor» (Belarus), mill РF-1 Beater (China), jaw crusher ВВ50 (Germany), laboratory tablet press YDP-12 (China), fermenter ПСЦ No. 15 (Belarus), gradient laboratory furnace SP 30/13 (Czech Republic), laboratory film extruder (China), chrome-copper-containing antiseptics analyzer for wood raw materials (China), laboratory reactor ПСЦ 40 (Belarus), salt-spray chamber S120IS (UK), laboratory rollers Rubicon (Germany), laboratory pin extruder Rubicon (Germany), etc.
Annually our lecturers, researchers and students are actively involved in international events. They carry out research and develop innovative technologies in close collaboration with their international partners. Students and professors participate in such international programs as Erasmus +, Horizon 2020, Baltic Sea Region, DAAD, etc. Every year the University hosts international scientific conferences and symposia. Hi-tech innovative achievements of our researchers are presented at numerous international exhibitions and fairs.
The BSTU research activities are supported by the following scientific units:
- Centre for Physical and Chemical Investigation Methods with eight integrated laboratories: particle size and surface area analysis laboratory; atomic-absorption spectroscopy laboratory; chromatography and mass-spectroscopy laboratory; thermal analysis laboratory; scanning electron microscopy laboratory; X-ray diffraction analysis laboratory; transmission electron microscopy laboratory; IR microscopy laboratory;
- Centre for Technology Transfer;
- Applied research laboratories: design, construction and maintenance of forest roads; forest protection; high technologies of pulp-and-paper and wood chemical industries; wood-based panels and plastics production; manufacturing processes of woodworking and furniture design; tire production; processing of phosphate-bearing raw materials; glass and glass-type materials; biotechnology-based forest seed farming and forest regeneration;
- R&D laboratories: nanofibres technology; autoclaved aerated concrete; pharmaceuticals development; development and manufacturing application of new technologies and pharmaceuticals, GLP and GMP standards;
- Management systems consulting centre;
- Educational and research centre for plant biotechnology (run jointly with Central Botanical Garden of Belarus)
- Testing centre for environmental control;
- Testing centre for woodworking equipment and tools;
- Testing laboratory for food quality control;
- Laboratory for polymer materials testing;
- Landscape design studio;
- Certification body for woodworking equipment and tools;
- Energy audit team;
- R&D laboratory for petrochemistry;
- R&D laboratory for stabilization of plastics, rubber and fibres;
- R&D laboratory for wood chemistry;
- R&D laboratory for molecular and biological research;
- R&D laboratory for fireproofing of building structures and materials;
- R&D laboratory for glass and silicates;
- R&D laboratory for bioengineering, chemical and mechanochemical treatment and processing of plant biomass;
- Laboratory for structural, electrokinetic and physic-mechanical testing of pulp, paper and cardboard.