The early history of the University can be considered the 8th of December, 1859, when the Gory-Goretsky agricultural institute welcomed the first students of the Forestry program who were trained for careers in agronomy and forestry with the opportunity of obtaining a PhD degree in the abovementioned fields. Forestry faculties were established in 1919 at the Gory-Goretsky Agricultural Institute and in 1920 in Minsk Polytechnic Institute. They further became a basis for the foundation of the Forestry Institute in Gomel (June, 1, 1930). The new technical institution of higher education faced the task of training engineering personnel for forestry, forest and woodworking industries. Therefore, the year of 2019 will commemorate the 160th anniversary of higher forestry education in Belarus.
In 1934 the Forestry Institute was renamed into the Belarusian Forestry Engineering Institute and was given the name of S.M. Kirov in 1935.
In 1941 at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War the Institute was evacuated to the city of Sverdlovsk and became a part of the Ural Forestry Engineering Institute. After liberation of Gomel from German fascist invaders the Institute was re-evacuated to Gomel. In August 1946 the Institute was transferred to Minsk.
Its reformation in 1961 into the Belarusian Technological Institute was inspired by an intensive development of the Republic’s chemical industry. It was put in charge of training engineers for chemical industries. Later it was given the name of the Belarusian Technological Institute named after S.M. Kirov.
On October 20, 1980 by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, the Institute was awarded the Order of Red Labor Banner with its 50-th Anniversary and for its achievements in training highly-qualified engineers and researchers.
In 1988 the Council of Ministers of the USSR certified the Institute as a leading higher school of the country.
Real flourishing of the Technological Institute started at the end of the 1980s and was brought about by intensive development of science, new graduate programs, improved material and technical facilities, well-equipped laboratories. In 1993 the Government of the Republic of Belarus granted the Institute with a university status (Belarusian State Technological University).
The scope of the University competence has enlarged dramatically. It began training specialists for the careers in landscape architecture, glass and glass ceramics production, construction and fine functional ceramics, chemical sources of current and functional electroplating, polymer and mould products design, engineering and medical binding materials, basic organic and petrochemical synthesis, paintwork materials, industrial ecology, bio-ecology, certification, automation of technological processes, biotechnology of energy carriers, enzymes and fermentation technology, fine organic synthesis, medicines, perfumery and cosmetics, information systems and technology, printing industry, data processing and publishing, management, marketing, tourism and nature management, etc.
The BSTU was the first among the national educational institutions to introduce the Quality Management System holding two Conformity Certificates – National Conformity Certifcate of STB ISO 9001-2009 and International Conformity Certifcate of ISO 9001:2008.
In 2010 the University was awarded the Honorary State Banner of the Republic of Belarus for its outstanding sociocultural achievements and long-lasting traditions of training highly qualified personnel. In 2011 the University was given the Governmental Prize for Quality Management. It was licensed as a research organization and joined Belarusian-Kazakhstan Research and Educational Consortium as a full member.
In 2012, by the decision of the Prime Minister of Belarus Mikhail Myasnikovich the University was reorganized into an educational, research and production centre in line with lifelong learning principles. In March 2013, the University took under its roof five colleges, i.e. Polotsk State Forestry College, Vitebsk State Technological College, Gomel State Polytechnic College, Bobruisk State Forest Engineering College, and Belarusian State College of Building Materials Industry.